Power Wrench Reviews
Our Top Pick is the DEWALT Impact Wrench Kit
A power wrench or impact wrench as they are also called is a wrench that is designed to fit into small, tight spaces and deliver up to 1150 inch pounds of torque. They are used for projects where a super strong tightening is needed on the bolt more so than a regular wrench can provide.
The DEWALT 12v max 3/8” impact wrench offers many different kinds of features including LEDs, a lightweight body, a 3/8” hog ring anvil chuck to make socket changes fast and easy, two lithium-ion battery packs that are quick-charging and having two batteries means one can be charging while the other is in use to avoid any delays.
The benefit to the LEDs is that they provider light to the targeted area which gives you better visibility. The lights are located radially around the barrel. Users will love how easy it is to handle and left this impact wrench.
This is the perfect impact wrench for HVAC professionals as well as cabinetmakers. It is a very good tool to have in your tool box should you ever need the strength and torque it provides. Users will like the 3 year limited warranty, 1 year free service contract and 90 day money back guarantee too.
Who Should Buy This?
A Power wrench or impact wrench is needed when the project you are working on requires that extra strength in tightening the bolts down. This would apply for buildings, swing sets or playground equipment, AC equipment and other situations where you want to ensure the connection is tight and not able to just be loosened by hand.
They are perfect for electrical and mechanical contractors, general contractors, cabinetmakers, automotive shops, steel workers, construction companies, aircraft and ship building companies and HVAC professionals. They are used whenever a super strong connection is needed such as putting an aircraft together. That is not the time you want a less than superior connection. Power wrenches make sure those connections are as they should be.
What Makes a Good Power Wrench?
The basic mechanization principles are the same from one impact wrench to another but there will be differences in the features. The main features that you want to look for when shopping for an impact wrench or power wrench are listed below. These are the features that will make one power wrench stand out from the others.
A power wrench has three main types of power sources that a power wrench will have: compressed air, electricity and hydraulics. If the power wrench is being used in construction and automotive work, you will find that the compressed air and electronics is most often used. The hydraulics power wrench is most often used in heavier industrial applications.
A lot of automotive shops use compressed air power wrenches. The air tank is connected to the wrench and provides a power source that helps the wrench generate a huge amount of torque for the heavier jobs that the automotive industry involves. Because of the lack of electrical power source, the power wrenches that are air compressed are more lightweight. You will need a tank of compressed air on hand to use them though.
The power wrenches that use electricity also have plenty of torque but they are not as strong as air compressed power wrenches. The electrical power wrenches are perfect for home workshops where having compressed air tanks around may not be possible. Being able to plug the power wrench into an outlet is much more practical for smaller jobs and home garages and workshops.
For the power wrenches that use hydraulics, they provide a huge amount of torque which is why they are used for the heavy duty jobs like big construction sites and industrial manufacturing centers.
How We Tested
We researched a lot of information when we were looking for the top power wrench. This research starts with doing a general search for power wrenches. This information led us to a list of the best features a high quality power wrench has. We looked at many other sources as well including tool blogs, industrial tool magazines, and general tool magazines together more information and talked to experts in the industry. Lastly we looked at customer reviews and comments to see what they had to say about using the power wrenches they had chosen. All of this information helped us come up with our top choice.
|Battery Power Type||Lithium-ion|
|Impacts per minute||3400|
|Cordless tool type||specialty|
|Cordless or corded||cordless|
|Forward/reverse rocker switch||no|
|Maximum speed||2450 rpm|
|Power tool product type||cordless|
|Product weight||9 pounds|
|Tools product type||power tool|
|Certifications/listings||1- UL listed, CSA listed|
|Guarantee||90 day money back guarantee|
|Warranty||3 year limited warranty, 1 year free service|
Who Else Likes It?
Homedepot.com writes “The DCF813S2 is 1 of the smallest 3/8 in. impact wrenches in its class. At only 2.3 lbs. this is also 1 of the lightest impact wrenches.”
Toolbarn.com says “The 12 Volt MAX 3/8″ Impact Wrench Kit from DEWALT (DCF813S2) is an ideal tool to handle any home repair or heavy duty project. Its compact, lightweight design enables it to fit easily into spaces bulkier impact drivers can’t reach and it’s capable of an impressive 95 ft.-lbs. of maximum torque.”
Amazon gives the DEWALT DCF813S2 4.7 out of 5 from 121 reviews. One satisfied customer writes “Received it today and was pretty impressed with it. It’s really light weight and you hardly feel the battery pack at all. Very balanced and the handle grips very easily. I thought as small as it was it wouldn’t be that powerful but it packs quite a punch.”
The Step Up
If you need a professional quality power wrench, you will love the DEWALT DC883M2. This cordless power wrench is compact and lightweight. The durability makes it perfect for professional use and it’s highly portable due to the long battery life and compact size. Users won’t deal with hand fatigue or tiredness since it doesn’t weigh very much at all.
Don’t be deceived by its size, this power wrench has everything you need to get the jobs done. This power wrench uses a lithium-ion battery pack which is very powerful and offers 33% more power than other batteries. It holds the charge for up to 24 hours so it can be used all day long without having to be recharged.
It is truly one of the highest quality power wrenches on the market. Some of the additional features include 20 volts, 2700 impacts per minute, a hog ring anvil that makes changing sockets easy, three LED lights with a 20 second delay to add illumination to darker areas, and a maximum torque of 1560 in lbs.
The cushions non-slip grip makes it easy to handle and control and the variable speed trigger allows users to adjust the power wrench’s speed to suit the project being worked on. Users will get a large amount of value with this power wrench that easily outperforms similar models.
Top Power Wrench Comparison
|Position||Visual||Tool||Torque (in/lbs)||Drive Size (Inches)||RPM
Care Use & Maintenance
Care and maintenance is very important to the longevity of any power tool. When you take care of your power tools they will perform at top capacity and can last a long time too. Every power tool has some routine maintenance that needs to be done to ensure that it performs at peak levels and stays clean. We’ve listed those maintenance tips below.
In addition to maintenance, adhering to safety guidelines is paramount in not breaking the tool from improper use but more importantly, in not getting injured. A lot of safety guidelines are common sense type stuff, but others may simply be overlooked due to lack of knowledge. We have provided the most important safety tips below as well so you know exactly what to do and not do with your power wrench.
- Keep work area clean and well lit to avoid potential accidents
- Do not operate power wrench in areas that contain flammable liquids, gases or dust
- Keep children away from the power wrench and work area
- Never modify the plus or use any adapter plugs to avoid potential shocks
- Avoid contact with earthed or grounded surfaces
- Do not use the power wrench in wet areas or rain. When water gets into the power tools it can cause potential electric shock.
- Never use the cord for carrying, pulling or unplugging the power tool.
- Keep cord away from heat, oil, sharp edges or moving parts.
- Never use damaged cords.
- If you are using the power wrench outside, use an extension cord that is rated for outdoor use and that is heavy duty enough for the power wrench
- If you HAVE to use the power wrench outdoors in damp conditions, use a ground fault circuit interrupter protected supply. Using this will reduce the chance of a shock
- Don’t operate power wrench when you are tired, under the influence of drugs or alcohol or medication
- Use eye protection when using the power wrench
- Use proper safety gear such as dust masks, nonskid safety shoes, hard hat, and hearing protection if needed
- Before plugging in the power wrench, ensure the switch is completely off
- Remove the adjusting key or wrench before turning the power wrench on
- Stay balanced when using the power wrench
- Don’t wear loose clothing or jewelry
- Keep hair pulled back when operating the power wrench
- Use the dust collection equipment if you have it, to reduce the amount of dust that is in the work area. Reducing the dust is healthier for the user since they are not breathing it.
- Do not use power wrench in the rain or damp areas unless absolutely necessary
- Forward/reverse button must be in lock off position before making any adjustments or removing/installing attachments or accessories
- Blow dirt and dust out of the air vents with clean, dry air once a week. Wear eye protection when doing this.
- Never use solvents or other harsh chemicals when cleaning the non-metallic parts of the power wrench. Use mild soap and water only to clean.
- Never immerse any part of the power wrench in water
- Disconnect the charger from the AC outlet before cleaning.
- Remove dirt and grease from the exterior of the charger using a cloth or soft non-metallic brush. Do not use water or cleaning solutions of any kind.
- Only use DEWALT approved accessories
- Only use impact sockets with this power wrench
- Never let children touch the power wrench
- Inspect sockets prior to use
- Never use cracked sockets
- Inspect cords and plugs regularly for worn or damaged areas.
- Always check power wrench for damage or problems before each use
- Wipe down carefully with a dry cloth after every use
Wrapping It Up
Power Wrenches are valuable tools to have in your tool box. The DEWALT power wrench featured here is perfect for professionals and amateurs alike and will stand up to the demands that your projects put on it. With all of the additional features, you will have the torque power you need to ensure excellent super secure connections on a number of applications.
Whether you are a homeowner looking to build a tree house for the kids or build a heavy duty swing set or you are a professional building a freestanding business, the DEWALT power wrench will provide the power and the results you need.