There are many important reasons why a homeowner would want to build a fence on their property. A good quality fence can provide your home with privacy and security. However, there are various fence styles that may be better than others for specific reasons. Before having a fence installed, you should consider some essential issues, such as what type of fence you want and how to find a good fence installer.
How to Choose a Good Fence Installer
Putting up a fence yourself is doable, and a lot of homeowners enjoy the process of building their own. However, having a professional fence installer come and do it for you can actually save you time and energy. Not only that but certain fences like chain link can be tricky for the average homeowner to install themselves. Hiring a good fence installer means the fence will be built accurately and sturdily.
The first thing you should do when finding a good installer is to ask your neighbors, family, friends, or co-workers for recommendations. If you see a neighbor having a fence installed, it is a great opportunity to walk over and ask for a business card. A quick search online of: ‘fence companies near me’ should also bring up dozens of businesses to select from.
Whichever company you select, it is important that you do thorough research on them. Read reviews, the company motto, and background information. Also, reach out via phone or email to make contact with them if you are interested. Most companies offer a free estimate, so try to take advantage of it when you can. Having the installer come to your house for a meeting and free estimate is always worth it, and you can usually gain a lot out of a first impression.
Once you have decided which installer you are going to use, establishing good communication right from the beginning is imperative. Be clear about your expectations, budget, and timeline, and always voice any concerns you have sooner than later. It is ideal to maintain a friendly and approachable demeanor when interacting with your installer because if issues do arise, it will be much easier to deal with them if you’ve established good communication. On the other hand, you should also select an installer that is friendly and approachable, and if you get the feeling he or she is not, then it might be a good idea to consider someone else.
Lastly, write up a contract once you have selected an installer. The contract should be organized and detailed regarding cost and specifications, and you should never sign the contract before reading every single word. Your contractor should have your contact information on the contract, a list of necessary materials, the price, type of payment, and insurance information listed on the contract.
What to Consider Before Installing a Fence
Not every fence is ideal for every space. Therefore, it is important to consider some important aspects before having one installed. The cost is the first thing to consider, as different materials can have vastly different costs. Taller fences are more expensive than shorter ones, and usually, homeowners prefer at least a 6-foot high fence. Sometimes your local township codes will determine the height you need to install – especially around a pool area. The average installation cost for a fence is generally between $2,500 and $5,000. The cost per linear foot can range from $3 to $13.
Next, it is important to consider the area you wish to have enclosed. Some homeowners only want their backyard fenced in whereas others want their entire property to be fenced. You should first look into your city’s bylaws that will dictate many aspects of how and where you can build your fence.
Choosing the best type of fence for your property is one of the most important decisions you will make during the process. For example, some options include chain link, electric, wood, aluminum, and wrought iron, just to name a few. Chain link fences are extremely sturdy and are great for pets because they do not break or bend easily if they are jumped at or bumped into.
Wood fences provide a lot of privacy as they do not allow anyone to see through them, unlike the wide holes of a chain link fence. Wrought iron is a very attractive option that looks great at the front of a house. If you are indecisive about what type of material you want to build your fence out of, always express your needs to your contractor, and he or she should be able to help point you in the best direction.
The height of your fence will not only be based on your personal preferences but on the location of the fence within your yard. You may need a different size than you were wanting because of your local building codes. Your contractor will be able to answer any questions regarding this before he or she begins to build.
The level of privacy you get with your fence will depend on the type of materials you choose. This is very important to consider because if you live in a busy area or close to neighbors, you may want to build a fence made out of wood or aluminum instead of open chain link. If you like to use your backyard for entertaining or have a swimming pool in it, you may want to select more of a privacy fence to be built. That being said, if you decide on open-link fencing, you can plant trees or hedges in front of it for privacy.
Again, you will want to consider the area you are living in while you plan your fence. Each city will have different permits and bylaws. The height, materials, and location of your fence may require you to obtain a permit. Usually, backyard fences that exceed 6-feet tall need a permit. That being said, some cities don’t require the homeowner to obtain a permit to build a tall fence as long it complies with local bylaws. It is always a good idea to check your local laws regarding this issue before you begin building your fence as it would be a shame to have to take it down once it was built.
Lastly, you will want to ensure that you hire a professional fence installer. Building a fence is no simple task, and so leaving the job to a professional allows you to sit back and watch your new fence being built without the hassle of doing it yourself. Remember though, you will not only pay for the materials to build your fence but also for their labor. Be sure to ask your contractor questions about the installation and establish a positive relationship with them from the beginning.
There are multiple benefits to having a fence installed around your house. Not only will you have more privacy, but you can also mark your property lines with something pleasing to look at. Fences complete the look of a home, but they also provide a positive function – they provide security. There are many fence styles that you can put up on your property. Because of this, you’re certain to find one that matches your style and preferences. If you are looking into installing a fence, you should contact fence companies near you to get a quote. There are a number of things that can influence the cost of a fence and one of the most important factors is the type of fencing material that you choose.
How Much Does a Fence Cost?
This is a generalized category that covers any type of wood from basic planks to premium cedar. Obviously, the better the quality of the wood, the more expensive it’ll be. Basic plank fencing can run from as little as $1.50 per linear foot. Something more solid like a redwood fence can cost you up to $17 per piece of wood. These cost estimates don’t include installation costs.
Vinyl fencing can run you anywhere from $2k to $5k and up. This type of fencing is definitely pricier because materials cost from $10 to $25 per linear foot – not including labor. It’s not a popular option for homeowners because of the price, but this style is absolutely worth it in terms of aesthetic and longevity.
Metal fencing typically refers to chain-link fencing. Installation of chain-link fencing is a relatively cheaper option and will cost you anywhere from $14 to $19 per linear foot. The curb appeal of a chain-link or wire fencing isn’t top-notch, but if you’re only looking to keep your pets contained on your lawn, or just need to mark your property lines, you should be okay with a basic metal fence.
A wooden picket fence can cost you anywhere from $14 to $19 per square foot depending on the type of wood. This price includes installation costs. It is also possible to use other materials for picket fencing, but the most popular option is just a classic wooden look. Picket fencing is generally painted once it’s installed, so be sure to also budget for paint costs or call a painter to do the job for you.
Composite fence panels can add up quickly, especially if you’re not experienced in installing them. This is because mistakes can become costly. If you’re hiring a professional to install your composite fencing, you can expect prices to range anywhere from $27 to $48 per square foot. These prices include both the cost of materials as well as the installation.
Before you decide on a fencing style, you should do your research to see what appeals to you and your budget. There are a lot of different styles you can choose from, and they’re all quite distinct. Also, be sure to get quotes from at least three different contractors in order to compare prices. Here are some of the most common and popular fencing styles.
- Chain-Link – Chain-link fencing is the most basic form of fencing you can put around your house. It also happens to be the most affordable. Chain-link fencing doesn’t provide you with a lot of security or privacy, but they do work as far as marking the limits of your property. Chain-link fences work really well if you’re just trying to mark your property, but don’t expect to get a lot of anything else out of it.
- Privacy – Privacy fences are a fence style that is generally built higher than a traditional fence—at least 6 feet tall or more. The purpose of installing a privacy fence, obviously, is to get as much privacy as possible. It takes more to install taller fences so installation pricing will likely be higher than other fences. Because you’re installing a higher fence, you’ll also need to incorporate additional materials such as fence posts and cement. Depending on the size of a yard, a privacy fence might require five or more fence posts, and each will need to be installed and dried before the fence can be attached to them.
- Picket – This is the most classic fence look there is, and most people picture the picket style when they’re talking about fencing in general. This style is very decorative and attractive in nature. It has come to symbolize the idealized suburban life. Picket fences are distinguished by evenly spaced boards that are attached by horizontal rails. They are generally shorter than average fences, ranging in height from only 36 inches to a 48-inch maximum.
- Vinyl Rail – There are a lot of benefits to vinyl fencing. You can have more options as far as look is concerned, and you’ll also save a lot of time and energy when it comes to cleaning. All you’ll need to do is hose them down, and you’re all set. Vinyl rail fencing is also very durable. It can last a long time, especially if you take care of it.
- Wrought Iron – This is another type of metal fencing; it’s just more striking and elegant than a chain-link fence. Wrought iron fences are also a lot stronger and more durable than just the wires of chain link. They don’t provide a lot of security or privacy, but they’re a much prettier way to separate your property from your neighbor’s. They also work well to keep people out. Wrought iron fencing is generally black in color to maintain an elegant aesthetic.
- Farm Fence Although you can generally find farm fencing in more rural areas, the style is slowly finding its way into suburbs these days. It is also known as split-rail fencing. Farm fencing is characterized by three or four horizontal wood beams that are held up by vertical posts. These vertical posts are typically spread out by 3 to 4 feet. Farm fencing can be built so strong that it can easily last for 100 years with very little attention.
- Picket Fence Picket fencing comes in many styles and designs. You can have pickets that form a straight top when installed, or you can have one that has some curvature on the top. Either way, picket fences are almost always (and traditionally) white, but of course, you can paint your fence whatever color you’d like. Picket fences are probably the most timeless type of fencing there is. A picket fence will never get old or go out of style.
For homeowners, installing a fence can mean many things. It can be the first step towards complete privacy. It can also be a way for property lines to be marked. Whatever the reason, installing a fence can give homeowners plenty of benefits. However, if you’ve never dealt with fence installation before, you probably aren’t sure how to get started. Hiring a professional fence company near you will be a great place to start. When you’re deciding which company to work with, there are a few things about fence installation that you should look into before proceeding.
What Fencing Services Should I Think About?
If you have a specific fence design in mind, make sure that the fence company you’re looking at is able to install it for you. Different companies offer different designs, and if you’re set on having one specific type of fencing, it helps to see if the company you’re looking into offers it. Additionally, fencing companies should be able to provide you with feasible options for your designs. If they can’t, you should consider moving on to the next company that can offer you the design options you want.
Installation is undoubtedly the most important fencing service you need to consider when deciding on a company. Installation should include both pricing for materials as well as labor. Your fencing company should be able to provide you with a choice of material options depending on the design and style you’re considering. You should also get a quote on how much the labor will cost. This cost will vary depending on what type of fence you want to have installed, how long it’ll take to put up, and how involved the labor will be. Make sure that you consult at least two or more fencing companies, so you can compare prices and get the best deal.
Most fencing companies will also offer maintenance services for your fence after installation is complete. Fencing should not just be installed and ignored. It will require a set amount of maintenance depending on which type of fence you choose. Some fences only require minimal maintenance such as a light and occasional wash. On the other hand, there are certain materials that require more elaborate maintenance services that are best handled by a professional fencing company. There’s a benefit to hiring the same company that installed your fencing to perform your maintenance services. They’ll have the best idea as to how to take care of the materials they used.
If your fencing ever needs repairs, you can also contact your choice of fencing companies for professional repair work. Damages to your fence can happen any time and can be caused by various factors. Your fencing might break due to normal wear and tear or even from intense weather conditions such as tropical storms or hurricanes. Fencing can also break due to unforeseen accidents. No matter how your fences break down, know that you have options as far as repairing it. Don’t be bothered by doing the repairs yourself, especially if you’re not familiar with fencing. It’s better, for safety reasons, to leave it to the pros.
5 Different Styles of Fencing
Before you begin to look at choosing a fencing company, you should already have an idea of the style and materials you want. There are many styles to choose from and choosing can be the most exciting part for homeowners. You’ll have to picture how your home will look surrounded by the fencing you choose before proceeding with any work. Do your research on different fencing styles, and you’re guaranteed to find one that you’ll love. Here are 5 different styles of fencing to get you started.
Contoured or Stepped Fences
This style of fencing is appropriate for homes that are not on flat grounds. Contoured or stepped fences literally contour to the shape and heights of the lawn. If your house is on a slope, you’ll probably need to have stepped sections of fence. The good thing is you can incorporate the stepped style into many landscape designs.
These days, pool fencing is no longer just for safety purposes. Pool fencing has been upgraded to make it look more attractive than it ever has in the past. Pool fencing can keep l children and animals away from the pool, and now it can also add design and shape to your yard layout. Pool fencing also adds separation to different areas in your backyard.
If you’d rather have no fencing at all but need something to contain your pets, the best option for you is invisible fencing. This style of fencing does not involve posts and beams. Invisible fencing is an electronic system that is buried in the ground and creates an electronic boundary around your home. This is a great option to use to contain your pets without having to install wooden planks or other fencing material.
The farmhouse style, in general, is in high demand these days. Along with this also includes the demand for livestock fencing such as split rail fencing. It makes sense to have livestock fencing if you live away from the city and need to enclose large land areas. Livestock fencing is generally more cost-effective compared to other styles. Also, nowadays you don’t have to own livestock or live in rural areas for it to be appropriate to install this style of fencing. You can make a statement and install the livestock fencing style just because it looks good. And, it’s popular too!
There are many different styles of fencing that you can install for pets, but most of them are made from metal. These can be installed in chain-link styles or simple, plain panel designs. You can certainly use other materials for fencing in your pets, but these are the cheapest. Most pet fences are shorter, but if you have larger animals to keep in, you might want to consider installing a higher fence. Most fencing will keep your pets safe regardless, but it’ll be best to consult with a fencing company first to make sure you’re installing the right fence to keep both you and your pets safe.
There are many reasons to build a fence around your property. A few of these include keeping your children and pets in and other children and pets out, marking your property boundary, and also for privacy and for security. Different types of fences offer different levels of security and privacy. A home that is not fenced looks incomplete and not as eye-catching. So, despite fencing it for safety, you should also fence it for beauty.
- Prefabricated Fencing – you need to consider the style of your home and the purpose of your fence before settling for the best product for you. Fabricated fences are easy to transport and install, and they are of better value compared to traditional systems of fencing. Be sure to look for quality, fabricated fences that are well constructed, with panel and post systems to provide durability and strength. This saves you time since it is an easy way to have your fence installed.
- Assemble from Scratch – if you plan to build the fence yourself, you will need to build everything up from scratch, that is, measuring the fence posts, digging the holes to put up posts, putting in gravel and concrete, attaching panels and rails and maybe even putting the post caps. This may not be an easy job, but it can save you a lot of money. If you also have family members who wish to help, the work can be done quickly and more easily. You just assign jobs to each person, and the work moves fast. Building your fence with a group is also a good moment of bonding since communal work brings people closer together.
- Hire it out to a Professional – not all fencing work can be done by yourself. Some work may require handling by a professional with professional knowledge and skills. Having an expert do the fencing will guarantee you a clean and precise job. Most fencing professionals find it easy to build a good and lasting fence within an agreed upon period of time – one that doesn’t disturb your peace or disrupt your other scheduled activities. Building a fence on your own can also, possibly cause you a lot of frustration as you try to figure out the layout and calculate the measurements for post holes. You may spend more money on this, but the end result is beautiful.
Before hiring a fence installer, you need to do a check on the person or the company to know how well they will do your work. Referrals from friends and family would help to get a professional fence builder you will feel comfortable using. Not everyone can be trusted around your home, so it is important to know about the people who will be working there.
What’s the Best Way to Take Care of Your Fence?
Clean and well-maintained fences give your property a positive look and an inviting ambiance. It is a lot cheaper to care for a fence than to repair it and a well-maintained fence lasts longer. Poor fence maintenance will cost you more in the long run. Take care of your fence so that it can stay stronger for longer. There are many ways to keep your fence beautiful and long lasting but below are just a few:
- Pressure Washing – do not assume that rain will wash your fence. Periodic washing will keep it looking better. Pressure washing, also known as power washing, can make a dirty wood fence look new. All you need to do first is remove the surface layer of the old wood to expose fresh wood. Power washers are aggressive, and they strip the wood and clean off the dirt. Before running the washer, make sure you prime the pump and hoses and add enough water to avoid damaging the pump.
- Staining – this helps your wood by protecting it and helping it last longer. It extends the lifespan of your fence by giving it some protection against rot, wear and tear, and boring insects. Before staining, make sure your wood is dry by allowing it to sit awhile after installation. This period of time allows the wood to get used to the new environment and gives it time to open its pores so that the stain sinks in better. The best time to give your fence some staining is early in the morning or late in the evening and during the dry season. It is also necessary to choose the tools that will apply the stain evenly.
- Mold Removal – once mold forms on your wooden fence, it may not be easy to eliminate it. And, since mold loves wet weather, it’s best to clean it off after the rainy months. Additionally, mold mostly grows on fences constructed under shady areas that do not get direct sunlight or in areas with a lot of moisture. Wooden fences are most susceptible to mold because of their rough surfaces. Cleaning with water and brush will get rid of the mold. If water alone does not get rid of it, you can try vinegar or seek professional services. Additionally, periodic power washing should remove mold and make your fence look new again. Make sure to protect any plants that may be near the fence if you remove the mold with chemicals. Be sure to cover them so that they do not come into contact with any harmful substances.
- Damage Control – once you notice an issue with your fence, fix it right away. Small damages cause larger problems if not repaired immediately. Especially smaller issues that can be easily repaired. Keep an eye on your fence and the moment you notice something that needs your attention, work on it.
Fences are often the first impression of your home, and a beautiful and well-maintained fence looks attractive and can make you proud. Keep your fencing in good shape, and enjoy spending time in your own, beautiful oasis.
Materials Used When Building a Fence
Putting a fence up around your home or property is a task that should not be taken lightly. It will directly affect the safety of your family and your property, as well as the value of your home when, and if, you decide to sell. However, with the market teeming with fencing options it can be difficult to narrow down your options to the most suitable choice for your needs. Fences are made up of a number of components. Each plays a unique role in how the fence functions. The following is a list of the main fencing components.
- Terminal Post – this is part of the fence framework that you use to support the chain or wood at the end of a run of fencing. These posts are used at the end of a line of your fence, at a corner of your fence, or for posts that attach to a gate.
- Concrete – the best way to make your fence sturdy is to add concrete to the ground with the posts. The fence will be stronger and durable, and you can sit back and relax knowing that your fence is solidly supported.
- Rails – these are horizontal supports that connect the fence posts and also support privacy fence panels. Rails are very important, especially for taller fences and heavier fences. You can either use wooden, metal or vinyl when installing fence rails.
- Panel – panels provide extra privacy by blocking your home, and they come in various sizes and shapes to match the type of fence you choose. For example, try decorated panels with smooth faces make the fence look beautiful and well built.
- Fastener – the most common fasteners used in fencing are screws and nails. These are mainly used in wooden fencing. Choose fasteners based on the type of wood used since fasteners like screws may be hard to install in hardwood though they secure your fence better than nails. You can actually use a mixture of both nails and screws as needed on your fence. Additionally, some fencing comes pre-drilled so that all you have to do is line up the holes and attach them.
Take note that if you happen to be building your fence near your property line, you may need to contact a surveyor to mark the boundary of your land. This should be done even before deciding on what materials to use for your fence. Once you get the go-ahead from the local authorities, you can accurately choose the proper material for your fence.
Hire a Professional Fence Installer or DIY?
Whether your fence is meant to keep the neighbor’s pets and children out, or your own in, will determine the material, height, and type of fence you need. Furthermore, if your fence is for your front yard, there may be different building codes required to be met that for a back-yard fence. To decide whether you want to tackle the job, or hire a professional, you can ask yourself a number of questions:
- Can you do it yourself?
You need to be honest about your skill set and how much help you can get with your fencing project (i.e., friends and relatives). For instance, wooden fences may not require extra hands since they are generally composed of smaller pieces and only require a hammer, nails, and timber to get the job done. Painting a timber fence can be done by any member of your family who wishes to take part and help. On the other hand, metal and vinyl fencing may require more skills and may require a professional installer.
Even though doing the work yourself saves you money, what you will likely learn is that you do not have the skills to easily put up the kind of fence you want, or that your home requires. This leaves you with no other option than to hire a professional fencer who has the knowledge. Also, before deciding to do the fencing yourself, consider your health. Is the work going to put your health at risk? Fencing requires hard labor and only when in good health should you take on such a task.
- How much are you willing to spend?
This has to do with both the cost of installation and the cost of materials. You need to make a budget of things you require and the cost of materials and labor before settling for a particular fence. Setting a budget will certainly help you know which kind of fence will be best suited for your home and your pocketbook.
The amount of time you have available to dedicate to building your fence will determine if you hire an installer or do the job yourself. Even gathering the materials can be time-consuming. If you decide to build it on your own, you will need to set some time aside just for just that.
A professional installer specializes in all aspects of the job, and so they are able to organize themselves and will be able to have your fence built in a short period of time. In turn, this will not inconvenience you by taking time away from your other responsibilities.
A fence may be the first improvement job you tackle after purchasing a home or a piece of property. A fence is also the first thing that people see when they visit. A beautifully fenced home is inviting, and even it attracts buyers when it comes time to sell. It is important to make an informed decision about all aspects of the job before fencing your property.