When you want to get rid of your old laminate flooring, then this is the article you need to get the job done. The information presented here will explain how you can effectively get rid of your laminate floor material. Let’s check it out so you can get this job completed in no time at all.
The Tools you will need to Remove Laminate Flooring
When it comes to removing a laminate floor, you do not need to have a plan. What you do need to have are some useful tools that can efficiently and effectively get the job done.
- A pull bar for removing tiles. It helps to make the job easy.
- A chisel to get the tiles up off the floor. You can use the chisel to start the process.
- A utility knife for cutting through the stubborn tile.
- A scraper for getting rid of left over materials.
The Process of Removing Laminate Flooring
You can use the following steps to get rid of laminate flooring. This process is as follows:
- Remove all items from the room where you will be working.
- You do not have to worry about cleaning off the floor since you will be making a mess.
- Take your pull bar and start to yank up the tile.
- If the tile is stubborn, then use the chisel or utility knife.
- You should start along the edge of a room and work your way toward the other side. Honestly, it will not matter which side of the room that you start. Just make sure that you have plenty of space when you initially pull up a tile.
- Make sure you are using clean fluid motions with pulling up the tile. If not, you could tire yourself out long before you finish the job.
- Keep this process up until the tile has been removed.
- Remove the underlay once the tile has been taken off.
- There will more than likely be a lot of glue residue left on the floor. Even if tile adhesive was not used in the process of placing the tiles onto the floor. This substance is also used for peel and stick laminate flooring. You will need an adhesive glue remover to get it up.
Take Care When Removing Tiles
When you are removing tiles from a floor make sure that you are not tearing up the floor beneath. Keep in mind that if you are removing tile off of the floor, you are probably putting down another type of laminate floor covering in its place. However, if you are one of those people that want to preserve the natural flooring of a home, then you must be very careful about how to remove the tile.
Some people use a heated gun to get the tiles off the floor. This process works, but it takes a lot of time and commitment. Most people do not want to spend a lot of time removing tiling from a floor. So, you should make sure that you do not expend a lot of energy into this type of job.
When should you start to pull up your old laminate floors?
You should remove your old laminate floors when you notice that they are wearing down. If you see cracks, splits or shifting tiles; then it is probably time to make a change. Remember that laminate flooring has a lifespan that lasts between 3 – 5 years.
You should also change your laminate tiling if they are getting too dirty. When you notice that your tile still looks dingy, even after you properly clean them; then it is time for a change. You should also change your tile when you are ready to give your home a makeover. Home improvement projects typically take place once every 2 – 3 years for most homeowners.
Can tiles be saved after they have been pulled up?
Generally speaking, if you plan on pulling up your laminate tiling; chances are you don’t want to keep them. However, if you do, then you should take great care not to destroy them as you pull them up. Pulling up tiles is not an easy task, and while you might not destroy all of the tiles, chances are you will not keep most of them in good shape as they are being removed. The short answer to this question is yes; you can keep some of your old laminate flooring. However, it will not be the best material to use for retiling another part of your home.
Special Equipment for Pulling up Tiles
There is some special equipment that people can use to remove the tile. This equipment is a mechanized floor remover that is sometimes used for removing flooring out of an industrial building. This might be overkill for a simple tile removing the project, but it is another option that people can use to get the job done.
Some Final Tips on Tile Removal
The main thing to remember is that tiling can be removed with little or not very much effort. If a person takes the time to remove the tile properly, they should have little fuss getting the job done. Make sure to get the equipment underneath the tile as much as possible and then pull it up with a clean motion. This is the best way to get it off the floor.
Make sure that you are pacing yourself while you work. Take breaks because this type of work can get physical. If you are not used to this kind of laborious activity, or you cannot perform it; have a family member that is handy with tools to help out. You can also hire a professional and have them complete the job for you, but that defeats the purpose of you doing it yourself. Make sure that you use your utility knife and a putty scraper to get rid of any excess material that remains on the ground. Removing tile is not an easy job. However, if you follow these tips, it should be relatively simple to complete.