There are dozens of ways that you can make paper roses. Some versions call for lots of supplies and expensive paper. Others are so advanced that they can be intimidating if you are a beginner. Don’t get frustrated with these intricate crafts. Instead, take a look at these two simple ways that you can make a perfect paper rose every time:
How to Make a Rolled Paper Rose
These simple paper flowers can be quickly made using leftover newspaper, paper bags or even pages from an old book.
- Paper (any will do, just avoid tissue paper)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Glue Sticks
- Take your paper of choice and cut a rough circle. It doesn’t have to look pretty, be even or be a specific size. Obviously, the larger the circle, the larger your rose will be. If you want to make more than one paper rose at a time, go ahead and cut additional circles. Each circle will make one paper rose. Try cutting all different sizes, to make a variety of paper roses, big and small.
- Take your pencil and draw a circle in the center of your cut out paper. Now, draw a spiral on your cut out circles. Start from the center and work your way to the outer edge.
- Using your scissors, carefully cut your spiral shape, leaving the circle in the center as a base. This is where you will glue the rolled flower, so make sure it’s not too small.
- Take the edge of your spiral and start rolling it inward until you reach the center. You can use your pencil as a guide during the beginning of this process. Once you have a few layers rolled, slide your pencil out and continue rolling.
- Once you have reached the center of your paper rose, release the rolled swirl. You should have a perfect paper rose.
- Now, all you need to do is, secure the end of the swirl. Simply glue the end of the swirl to the center circle, using your hot glue gun.
How to Make an Origami Paper Rose
Origami roses are very simple and don’t require any materials other than paper and scissors. Some origami can be intimidating and complex. However, this is one of the easiest origami paper roses you can make.
What You’ll Need
- Paper Squares (must be the same color on each side)
- Using your scissors cut your paper into squares. Each side should measure around 3.5 inches. This size will produce a 1.5-inch-wide paper rose. You can adjust the size of paper squares accordingly, to create variously sized paper roses.
- Here’s where the Origami terminology starts to come in. You need to create a Blintz Base. To do this, you need first to fold your paper horizontally. Unfold your square and fold each corner into the middle crease.
- Now you need to create a Double Blintz. This is going to be a repeat of the previous step. Fold in half, unfold and fold the corners into the middle crease.
- The third and final folding technique is a Triple Blintz. You guessed it, just repeat the previous steps of folding. By now you should be a Blintz folding pro. Keep in mind, when working with smaller squares this step can be tricky. Practice with larger squares before making smaller ones.
- Gently, pull back the layers of paper to reveal beautiful paper petals. Remember the softer the crease, the more natural your paper flower will look. If you want a flatter Origami look, firmly crease each fold with your fingernail during the folding process.
Decorating with Paper Roses
- Attach a magnet to the back of your paper rose to add color to your kitchen or office.
- Accent a handmade greeting card or scrapbook page with your paper roses.
- Create wall art out of your paper roses for an inexpensive decoration.
- Use a bit of watercolor paint to make your paper roses unique.
- Decorate a gift box with paper roses instead of the traditional bow or ribbon.
- When giving mason jar themed gifts, glue a handmade paper rose to the lid, for a touch of class.
- Use them as table decorations and place card holders for your next big get together.