Best Soldering Iron Reviews
OUR TOP PICK IS THE WELLER WLC100 40 WATT SOLDERING STATION
A soldering iron is a hand tool that people use for soldering. It sources heat in order to melt solder so it can flow into the joint that is between two work pieces. It is made of a heated tip and a handle that is insulated to make sure you can handle the tool.
If you are someone that loves to do things yourself or if you have hobbies that require you use a soldering iron, this is the best choice for you. This soldering iron has everything you need to solder metals together. This kit comes with a solder pencil iron that is lightweight, of the highest quality and one that you will use repeatedly over and over again.
It has variable power control, from 5 watts to 40 watts. It also has a cushioned foam grip that comes with a foam grip that is cushioned. It also has a heating element that is replaceable should you need to do so. The Weller WLC100 also has a safety guard iron holder. The On/Off switch has an indicator light that lets you know the soldering iron is on. And it comes with an iron plated copper tip, a safety guard holder for the iron and it has a natural sponge tip cleaning pad that you need to have.
WHO SHOULD BUY THIS
This soldering station by Weller is great for anyone that needs to weld anything together. It is especially a great purchase for those that have hobbies they enjoy doing that require welding to be done. It is also a good item for those that have projects that they do on their own around the house or for fun that may require soldering to be done within the project as well. Also, if there are students that are learning how to solder or just getting into soldering this is a great station from them to being with and to own.
This is also a great soldering iron station to get if you are a teacher that instructs multiple students and you are providing the soldering iron station they will work with. It is a nice set for novices to learn with and they would greatly benefit from using this soldering iron station. While learning you want to make sure that you are doing so with the best possible product… any instructors that are teaching will know how good of a soldering iron this is; they can provide it for their students and have everything ready for them to begin learning.
WHAT MAKES A GOOD SOLDERING IRON
There are some major things that you should look for when you are determining what makes a soldering iron a good one. One of the first things you should think about is the wattage. A good soldering iron will have wattage from 25 to 30 watts. Anything that is more than that is great, but anything lower than that may not be able to solder like you really need to.
You also want to consider the size and shape of the tip. A guide to making sure you have a tip that is a good size is to have a tip that is smaller than the pad that you are soldering to. You also want a tip that has a large thermal mass and a short stroke.
HOW WE TESTED
When we choose the top pick for soldering irons there are some things that we make sure we do and a procedure we go through to make sure we have selected the right one that will be the best value and have the very best performance that you can find for your money. The very first thing that we do to find the best soldering iron is general research… once we have done that we go on to collect all of the features and the top qualities that you will want to have and look for in a soldering iron that is of the highest quality.
The next thing we take look at is all of the many different magazines and blogs that will speak on soldering irons that we find informative and helpful. We then take one last step and that is talking with anyone that is a professional or an expert on the topic of soldering irons and those that work with them on a daily basis so we can gather their opinions on the subject. Once we do all of these things and find out what really makes a soldering iron better than all other soldering irons we look at the advice we have been given and the research we have done and look at the comments that have been made by those that have purchased the soldering iron and we put together all of this information for you and make it available to you.
SPECIFICATIONS OF OUR TOP PICK
- Product Dimensions: 8.8 x 6.3 x 3.8 inches
- Temperature Range: 900 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wattage: 5 Watts – 40 Watts
- Voltage Input: 120 Volts
- Voltage Output: 120 Volts
- Supplied Tips(s): ST3
- Style Type: Consumer Soldering Stations
- Package Gross Weight: 2 pounds
- Item Weight: 1.9 pounds
- Warranty: Repair or replace defective parts
WHO ELSE LIKES IT?
One customer says it is an absolutely great soldering iron. They have had it for 10 years and it fits every need that they have ever had to use it for with not one problem ever. The tips that come with the soldering iron are long lasting and they were extremely happy with this product and would recommend it to anyone that should ever need a soldering iron.
Another customer says this soldering iron is the one to get for sure. They love how this soldering iron heats up fast, it never lets them down and they feel like it will last them a lifetime. They have given it a 5 star rating and would definitely recommend everyone making this soldering iron their top pick.
Bestsolderinggun.com says the Weller WLC100 soldering iron is a soldering station that has been brilliantly designed. They were impressed by the handiness of this soldering iron and by the design of it… they thought it was elegant and great for those that need a soldering iron for hobbies or projects they could do on their own. They were magnificently impressed by the solder pencil because it was lightweight and it they really like the cushioned foam grip because it allows you to get a firm grip on the solder pencil. They also enjoyed how the soldering station allows you to have flexibility to adjust the power. That is important for them because they know how important it is to make that adjustment depending on what job someone is working on.
A customer from Eham.net says they have had this soldering iron station for more than 20 years and they love it. It has been their first and only soldering station and they do not intend on ever getting another one. They feel like this soldering iron is a gem and it has worked well on every project they have ever used it for. They recommend this soldering iron to everyone and if they ever have to get another one, they would want to get the exact one again.
Top Soldering Kit Comparison
|Position||Visual||Tool||Wattage||Soldering Temperature ( °F )
CARE, USE, & MAINTENANCE
- Always keep the tip tinned; only wipe it before you use it
- Use rosin or activated rosin fluxes only… Acid type fluxes will reduce the tip life tremendously
- To clean the tip, you need to remove it and clean it with an appropriate cleaner for flux used. The frequency of cleaning will depend on the type of work that you will do and the usage. Tips that are used consistently should be removed and cleaned at least once every week
- Do not try to clean the tip with any materials that are abrasive and never file the tip; to do so will greatly reduce tip life. How wet the tip will get is affected by contact with organics such as plastic rosins, silicone grease, and other chemicals. If the tip gets to where it is not wettable it can be cleaned with a Weller® Polishing Bar Part Number WPB1. Do not overdo this or the iron plating will be lost and the tip will be ruined for good. Re-tin tip immediately to prevent any oxidation from occurring
- Do not remove any excess solder from heated tip before you store it… The excess solder will prevent oxidation of surface that is wet when the tip is reheated
- Never touch the element of the soldering iron….400°C which is 752⁰F; you do not want to burn yourself
- Hold the wires that are going to be heated with tweezers or clamps.
- Keep the cleaning sponge you have wet while you are using the soldering iron
- Always return the soldering iron to its stand when you are not using it… Never put it down on your workbench.
- Turn the soldering iron off and unplug when you are not using it
- Always place your soldering iron in an unwavering iron stand whether it is being used or not.
- Make sure you plug the soldering iron into the accurate type of outlet with the proper voltage.
- Try not to use an extension cord. If you must use an extension cord make sure to use a heavy duty one.
- Regularly check the cord for burns or cracks and have a professional electrician replace worn cords before you use it… Make sure that the cord is not hanging in such a way that it comes under the hot tip or can be pulled off the work surface and pull the iron with it.
- Do not drop or crash the soldering iron. Ceramic heaters are especially easy to crack or break.
- Do not allow the iron to idle at operating temperatures for extended periods of time… This could cause the element to burn out or even the iron. If you are using a rheostat, turn it down to a low “idle” setting. If not, unplug the iron.
- Occasionally, remove the tip and lightly tap the barrel of wire wound heater irons to remove any debris there may be
- If you will not be using your soldering iron and the tips for an extended period of time, you may want to store it, once it has cooled down all the way; in a re-sealable bag… this will protect it from any corrosion and humidity.
WRAPPING IT UP
When you are looking to get a soldering iron you want to get the very best that you will be able to find. And in terms of soldering irons the Weller WLC100 40 Watt Soldering Station is the best there is. With all of the features you find with this soldering iron you will find that you will not be able to find another one like it anywhere.
When you have a soldering iron you want to make sure that you are always at ease with it and that you are getting exactly what you want. Whether you are doing personal projects, getting things together that you want to fix yourself, just learning how to solder or if you are using it for a job, the Weller WLC100 40 Watt Soldering Station is exactly what you want.
Weller is the premier soldering brand that you will find in the soldering industry. They have been making soldering irons and materials since 1952 and they have undoubtedly provided the most comprehensive range of sturdy and trustworthy hand soldering solutions that you will find anywhere and that will be able to handle any task you are faced with. You can always rely on Weller; the products they produce are top of the line and you will see this fact for yourself when you are soldering with the Weller WLC100 40 Watt Soldering Station.